Kansas City Car Accident LawyersOver the last 25 years, Horn Law has specialized in representing people who have been injured or killed in car accidents in Missouri, Kansas, and across the Midwest. The attorneys at Horn Law handle crash cases that occur on interstates, state highways, city streets, and county and rural roads. Horn Law is a highly rated, full-service personal injury law firm with a track record of success in maximizing motor vehicle accident settlements and awards.
Cases We HandleThe types of car accident cases Horn Law has handled over the past few years include:
- Neck and back injuries requiring rehabilitation treatment, such as chiropractic care or physical therapy;
- Concussions and head injuries requiring neurological care and therapies;
- Injuries to the joints, including shoulder, knees, arms, and wrists requiring orthopedic care;
- Injuries requiring hospitalization or surgery;
- Facial and dental injuries, including injuries causing scarring, disfigurement, or dental repair.
Free Legal ConsultationsIf you or someone you know has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, alert Lead Attorney Doug Horn to the case at 816-795-7500. Horn offers free legal consultations. In addition to telephone consultations, Horn offers office, home, and hospital consultations to provide aid to clients at a convenient location. As rapid response attorneys, early legal consultation is a priority with Horn Law. An early start allows us to take care of our clients’ immediate issues free of charge, including car damage settlements, legal, medical, investigative, insurance, and financial questions that arise in nearly every car accident claim.
Close and ConvenientThe Horn Law home office is in Independence, Missouri, near I-70 and I-470 (across the street from Costco). In addition to our home office, consultation offices are located in both Lee’s Summit and Liberty in Missouri, as well as Overland Park, Kansas.
Motor Vehicle Accident Practice AreasWe are experts at handling car accident cases in the Kansas City Metro Area. Here are our main focus areas:
- Distracted Driving
- Reckless Driving
- Inattentive Driving
- Drunk or Impaired Driving
- Running Red Light or Stop Sign
- Aggressive Driving
- Failing to Yield
- Head-On Impact
- Wrong-Way Driving
- Road Rage
- Uninsured Motorists
- Fatigued Drivers
- Head and Neck Injuries
- Back and Spinal Injuries
- Brain Injury
- Bone Fractures
- Injuries Requiring Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation
- Injuries Requiring Surgery
- Orthopedic and Neurological Injuries
- Airbag Injuries
- Chest and Seat Belt Injuries
- Scarring and Disfigurement
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Wrongful Death
Steps Horn Law Will Take to Obtain Maximum Settlements and AwardsTo help our car accident clients obtain the best possible settlement or award, we take the following steps:
1. Car Accident Legal InvestigationsOur legal investigation includes police reports, official reports, driver records, video evidence, witness statements, photographs, and accident reconstruction, as well as laws, ordinances, and statutes. The purpose of an early legal investigation is to establish liability and fault under state law. Legal investigations are essential to identify all parties who are liable for an automotive accident. This includes corporate and business liability for drivers who cause accidents while on the job.
2. Establishing Car Accident Insurance CoveragesCar crash cases most often involve multiple insurance coverages, including medical coverages. Because accident victims are usually entitled to only one settlement or award, it is essential to establish all applicable insurance coverages early on.
3. Filing Car Accident ClaimsAuto insurance companies for the driver(s) at fault must set aside reserves when notified of a claim. In filing claims of an injured person, it is our responsibility to provide documentation and other information to the insurance representatives to ensure that reserves are appropriately set. Insurance reserves are set based upon the anticipated damages to the injured person, including all of their past, present, continuing, and future damages. This is an important step in the claim process that sets the foundation for maximum settlements and awards.
4. Securing the Important EvidenceThere are no shortcuts when it comes to injury settlements and awards. It depends on hard work early on to obtain the evidence that both establishes liability and proves the medical problems linked to the traumatic injuries. To maximize legal recoveries, Horn Law relies upon expert opinions to support the nature of the injury, causation, medical treatment and rehabilitation, prognosis, and future medical recommendations. This serves as key evidence to support the total damage evaluation and awards for the victim or their family.
5. Making the DemandAfter an injured person reaches maximum medical improvement, the point where medical treatments have concluded, we will send a confidential written settlement demand to the insurance company representatives. This is an important stage in the legal recovery process. The written settlement demand is a presentation of both the liability and medical evidence that allows the insurance company claims adjusters and committees to evaluate the entirety of the injury claim. While the insurance company ordinarily responds to the written settlement demands with a series of settlement offers, advanced negotiations are almost always necessary to obtain fair and full out-of-court settlements.
6. Advanced NegotiationsWith 30 years of legal experience in handling a wide variety of car, truck, and motorcycle cases that result in serious injury, Attorney Doug Horn and his law partner Laurie Del Percio are skilled in advanced negotiations. Advanced negotiations differ from case to case but include settlement conferences with insurance claim supervisors, mediation, and litigation.
Kansas City Car Accident Lawyer Statistics & FindingsA poll conducted by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety confirms the findings of Horn Law car accident cases over the last ten years. Below are interesting takeaways supported by our handling of hundreds of car, truck, and motorcycle accident cases in the Kansas City Metropolitan area over the last ten years, from 2010-2020.
- Distracted Driving: Most motorists are very aware that cell phone use behind the wheel is dangerous, but they continue to do it. Most admit that using a cell phone to text or key in information has resulted in a collision or a near-miss collision.
- Speeding: Most motorists admit that driving 15 miles above the posted speed limit is dangerous, yet more than 48% of drivers reported doing so in the last 30 days.
- Running Red Lights: As you might expect, the overwhelming majority of drivers believe running red lights is dangerous, but almost a third of respondents admit to doing so.
- Seatbelt Use: The poll found that nearly 96% of respondents believe that it is unacceptable not to use a seatbelt, but 15% of drivers admitted that they had driven without a seatbelt in the last 30 days.
- Impaired Driving: Again, nearly everyone admits that driving under the influence is particularly bad, but nearly 10% of respondents admit doing so in the last 30 days.
Car Accident SafetyIn handling over 1,000 car accident cases over the last ten years, Attorney Doug Horn has used this legal experience to help advance driver safety, particularly in the areas of distracted driving prevention, teen driver protection, and traffic fatality reduction. In 2012, Horn developed Drive By Example, a driving safety communications program that influences drivers to adopt safe driving habits and behaviors that protect themselves, their passengers, and others on the roadway. Drive By Example is based on a clear, concise, and memorable message to drive by example: alert, buckled, cautious, and defensive (ABCD). The program is a perfect fit for traffic safety stakeholders who want to implement a comprehensive driver safety program in schools, parent groups and organizations, or in the community at large.
Ready to Get Started?
Get Your Free Consultation Today
Don’t wait to get help. Call, email or live chat with us 24/7.