When most people hear about a car or truck accident that resulted in serious injuries, or even death, they may automatically assume two vehicles (i.e. car, big rig, motorcycle, etc.) collided. Unfortunately, this isnâ€™t the only way that accidents on the road result in injuries or deaths.
In fact, in a number of accidents the culprit isnâ€™t a person at all. Unsafe road conditions can lead to quite a few accidents, resulting in severe injuries and even death.
For example, in 2015 a woman was killed in a rollover accident on NE. Mt. Olivet Road and Scottsdale Road in Smithville, Missouri. While the exact cause of this accident was not evident, the police stated they did not believe that drugs or alcohol were a factor.
As a result, there is a real possibility that unsafe road conditions caused the accident and resulting death. While this isnâ€™t certain, it is a situation that a personal injury attorney could assist with. If you are involved in an accident involving unsafe road conditions, there are several parties that may be considered liable. However, you may never know that you have the right to recover compensation unless you contact a qualified personal injury attorney.
Types of Unsafe Road Conditions that May Cause Accidents Â Â
There are several different types of roadway issues that may result in an accident, injury or death. Some of the most common unsafe road conditions include:
- Inadequate traffic control in construction areas
- Potholes or cracks that result in the driver losing control of their vehicle
- No rumble strips on the roadway
- Faded paint markings that can be seen by drivers
- Signs that have fallen or that canâ€™t be seen
- Putting utility poles or construction materials in a way that obstructs a driverâ€™s view
If you are involved in a car accident, but unsure of what caused it, it may be a good idea to have a trained investigator determine the cause. Hiring a personal injury attorney will give you access to this type of professional to help prove who was liable for the accident and subsequent injury or death suffered.
What has to be Proven to Determine an Accident Occurred from Unsafe Road Conditions?
According to information from the American Bar Association, you have to prove five things against a public entity to prove they are liable for the injury you suffered. These five things include:
- A public entity either controlled or owned the road that was involved in the accident
- The road was in a hazardous condition when the accident took place
- Some dangerous conditions resulted in the accident
- The accident took place in a way that it should have been clear to the public entity that issues would arise from the hazardous condition present
- The condition occurred because of the public entityâ€™s carelessness or because the entity did not take remedial action when they became aware of the condition
If are injured in an accident because of a dangerous road condition, you need to contact a personal injury attorney right away.