Farm Injury Attorneys

Serving Kansas City, Independence, Blue Springs & Lee’s Summit

Farming is woven into the fabric of life in Missouri and Kansas. Unfortunately, many of the region’s hard-working farmers and their families must deal with tragic injuries and deaths due to accidents that occur while they are working.

The law provides benefits and compensation in certain cases when farm workers are hurt on the job. It is important to speak with an attorney right away if you or a loved one was harmed while working in the agricultural industry.

At the Horn Law Firm, P.C., our attorneys offer free consultations and can answer important questions such as:

What Types of Farm Accidents Make You Eligible for Compensation?

There are many things that can go wrong while performing labor in the farm or fields of Missouri and Kansas, including:

  • Tractor accidents
  • Accidents with other machinery and equipment
  • Transportation accidents
  • Grain bin injuries
  • Animal injuries (including those that occur in ranching and butchering)
  • Falls from ladders or other heights

Injuries can also occur when riding ATVs or four-wheelers on farms. In some cases, animals can get loose and wander onto the road, causing an auto accident. Individuals who are not farm employees can be the victims of these types of injuries.

How Do Farm Accidents Occur and What Can You Do If You Were Hurt?

In many cases, workers who suffer an on-the-job injury are eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. However, in both Kansas and Missouri, exceptions exist within workers’ compensation laws that result in many farm workers being excluded from workers’ comp benefits.

It is important to understand whether you are eligible for these types of benefits, as workers’ compensation can provide coverage for medical costs and disability. An attorney who concentrates on farm injury claims in Kansas or Missouri can help you determine if you should be covered.

Another option for recovering compensation after a farm injury is to file a civil lawsuit. You can file a civil suit if you sustained your injuries as a direct result of the negligence, wrongdoing or safety breach of another party. For instance, you may be able to file suit if safety practices and protocols were not followed, when a farm owner was negligent in securing animals or when equipment malfunctioned.

To file a civil lawsuit, you must act within five years for personal injury in Missouri or within two years for wrongful death. In Kansas, both personal injury and wrongful death cases must be filed within three years.

What Kinds of Evidence Are Necessary To Obtain Compensation?

In a civil lawsuit, you must prove the defendant owed you a duty to exercise reasonable care or provide for your safety. You must prove the defendant fell short of fulfilling this obligation, and that your injuries were the direct result. Finally, you must demonstrate the extent of your injury so you can be fully compensated for all losses.

Farm injury cases are very technical. It is important to have qualified experts explain what occurred and why the defendant should be considered liable.  An independent investigation typically must be conducted to prove the cause of the farm injury, and medical experts must also be consulted to estimate the future costs of treatment.

Because farm injury claims are a unique area of law, it is important to speak with an attorney experienced in this type of case who has established a network of experts and legal professionals to conduct investigations and testify for you.  At the Horn Law Firm, P.C., we have a deep understanding of agricultural injury law in Missouri and Kansas.

What Kinds of Compensation Can You Receive?

Compensation for farm injuries should include wrongful death damages if your family member was killed in a farm accident. For those who were injured, compensation should include payment for pain and suffering, medical bills, emotional distress and lost income.

Our attorneys at The Horn Law Firm, P.C., will work to maximize the compensation you receive. Call or contact us online today to schedule a free consultation.

For More Information

• Agricultural Safety, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention