We at Horn Law Firm are serious advocates for driver safety. The number of auto accidents increases during the winter, especially during the holiday season. Here are some winter driving tips to help you have a safe and happy holiday season.
Car Maintenance: A well-maintained car is less likely to be a contributing factor to an auto-accident and it is important to keep specific parts of your car maintained.
Check tires for tread and wear.
- Install new windshield wipers and check windshield wiper fluid.
- Check battery for corrosion, especially on contacts.
- Have brake pads checked, and replace if necessary.
Item Preparedness: Having the right tools can help you be prepared for most situations. Here is a list of winter emergency essentials:
First Aid Kit
- Jumper Cables
- Sand or Cat Litter
- Snow Brush
- Ice Scraper
- Warning Device Such as Flares
- Spare Tire
Safe Driving: Most accidents are 100% preventable and by driving defensively and without distraction, the likelihood of being in an auto-accident will decrease greatly. If you encounter winter road conditions here are some driving tips:
Always check road conditions before heading out when there is a winter advisory.
- Always steer into a skid.
- Slow down before you normally would when approaching stop signs and signals.
- Keep more distance between you and the car in front of you to improve your reaction time.
- Learn your brakes: anti-lock brakes require firm continuous pressure, otherwise pump your brakes gently.
- During snow conditions, keep signal and headlights clear, as well as your windshield wipers.